Sunday, November 14, 2010

Property Wars (not really)

The students of Bowling Green State University make up a good portion of the size of the city. Although they're not counted as part of the population unless they're permanent residents, students add a significant amount of money from out of town that allows Bowling Green to thrive, and it's no more apparent than in the market for rental properties.

The University prefers all students to make their living arrangements through the institution. Most of those who do so live in dormitories, or fraternity or sorority houses. Many students though, for a number of reasons, wish to live off campus from the beginning. I know I was no different.

BGSU's housing policy requires that students live on campus for their first two years at the University unless they meet one of several qualifications. Anyone can register as a commuting student and claim they will be living at home, as long as the student's parent(s) live within 50 miles of the university. Also, students who are a certain age do not fall under the policy, as well as any who are married. My first year, I intended to register as a commuter from my parents home and find my own place off campus, skirting BG's rule. My plans fell through, but I went through with that my second year.

Almost all the rental properties in Bowling Green are owned and operated by individuals or small businesses. Many people with roots in this community, my parents included, purchase properties to rent to college students or others for supplemental income. However, most are either owned or maintained by one of several rental agencies in town.

This can get confusing, because there's two with the name of Newlove. Newlove Realty and Newlove Rentals have red signs and a location on South Main Street, while John Newlove is on East Wooster and advertises its properties with yellow signs. The companies are ran by two brothers with long standing connections to Bowling Green.

I move around just about every year and have been renting houses or apartments in BG for more than five years, so I have experience with most of the agencies, or know someone who does. I had some problems with red Newlove, and none with yellow Newlove. Red Newlove gave me problems when I moved out, and also some issues with yard maintenance. I no longer rent from either of them.

Some of the other places in town are Greenbriar, Preferred Properties and Mecca. Greenbriar is the only one I haven't rented from, but my friends have, and told me they had significant problems with maintenance, and that the people working in their office were not very helpful. Preferred Properties was average as a landlord, although they typically require parental lease guarantees from students, and give very little wiggle room on due dates. I've rented my current apartment from Mecca for two years, and have few complaints. I have a five day grace period for all payments and a flat fee for my water bill, as well as reasonable rent, which is nice.

Whatever you choose to do for living arrangements, I urge you to take great care when making arrangements with an individual or a company. Remember that you'll have to have a relationship with this person or agency, most likely for a year, or at least nine months. Ask all your questions up front and plan for every eventuality, because there's not much you can do once you sign a contract, and some people can be vicious when it comes to the language. Regardless of who you rent from, one lesson I learned is to take pictures upon move in, it often pays to have proof of those sorts of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment