Monday, October 11, 2010

Beignets and Thoughts on the Coffee Industry

When I got to New York I had my mouth tuned for one delicacy: beignets.  I wanted to try one of these Nawlins’ (New Orleans) inspired deep fried pastries, hoping this melting pot of a city had someone selling them.  Moreover, I wanted to accompany the flaky texture with a hot cup of Joe.  Unfortunately the beignets are in another borough (Queens).  Contrarily, coffee is everywhere!
I’m not exaggerating when I say there is a Starbucks on every block.  I don’t support the former because of conspiracies that it's an instrument of the Zionist state, but I am indeed a connoisseur of coffeeine.  Peace to the Stovetop Baristas.  Rumor was that they were going to put a Starbucks in Jerome Library, we'll see.
 So far I’ve had two cups of coffee and a vegan espresso (although I’m no vegan).  The latter tasted like a boiled screwdriver.  I drank it though, I don’t waste.
When thinking about the modern coffee industry, its roots lie in the imperialism of the West Indies and Africa, dating back to the 15th century.  The coffee bean, along with bananas, tobacco, and sugar, is arguably the most profitable cash crop in the world.  Leaders like Hugo Chavez refuse to allow outside nations like the U.S. to capitalize off of their homegrown products, which is understandable.
There's nothing better than a local coffee shop.  In Bowling Green its Grounds For Thoughts, when I'm home in Sandusky I go to Ms. Smith's Coffee House.
I feel resentment towards the fact certain nations aren’t compensated for their niche, a niche that we enjoy daily.  I know I’m doing a bit of oversimplifying but the crux is that lop sided business is good capitalism. But good capitalism is harsh. Here I’m talking international business of course.  These international products, like coffee, find a way into our bodies daily and we often don’t realize it.
I’m about to walk the strip and try to locate some coffee, preferably from someone with a non-American accent. 
            Paz.

No comments:

Post a Comment